Why does a large bruise develop in the thigh due to purging having bulimia?

I have suffered from bulimia for just over a year and a half. I am in recovery now but the last two times I purged I almost instantly depveloped a large bruise on the inside of my left thigh. The weird thing is it dissapeared again about 15 minutes later almost as fast as it appeared. This happened both times it happened. What is happening to me?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 57 minutes later

It is good to learn that you are recovering from bulimia.

Though bulimia is associated with purging, it is not known to cause bruising on purging in the thigh. Since it has only happened twice so far, we cannot co relate the two.I would say they are isolated episodes.

Meanwhile since Bulimia causes nutritional and vitamin deficiencies ,this may lead to easy bruises in the tissues.

I suggest you get a complete blood count with a coagulation profile to look for the causes.

I would also want to know a few things from you

1.Did you have similar episodes of bruises in the past?Any episodes of nose bleed, gum bleeding,etc?

2.Are you on any medications apart from iron supplements?

3.Any history of bleeding or clotting disorders in your family?

In anticipation of your reply

Follow-up: Why does a large bruise develop in the thigh due to purging having bulimia? 2 hours later
Thankyou XXXXXXX I will go to the doctors and make sure I have these tests soon. Do you think it is something serious or if I should get it looked at soon?

Also, what other serious side effects should I be looking out for as a result of my eating disorder?

I often feel like my heart is fluttering rapidly and sometimes feel a bit short for breath. I also get sudden stabbing pains in my abdominal at times. Sometimes they are mild but other times they are really painful and have me keeling over in pain.

Should I be worried about this?
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Since I have not examined you , I would suggest you see a doctor, though I may not consider it an acute emergency, but visiting a doctor for an examination is warranted.

The serious side effects that you should be looking out for with bulimia are

1.Rupture of the esophagus/food pipe due to regular purging habits, causing severe bleeding.
2.Acute stomach distress
3.Electrolyte imbalances causing severe generalised weakness, water retention, etc

The feeling of your heart pacing constantly, shortness of breath could be due to a sympathetic change as a result of the long term changes of bulimia.

As I mentioned, it also affects the stomach and intestinal functions, you are experiencing the stabbing pain on and off.

I suggest you not to worry too much thinking on these lines.The best thing to do for now is to get yourself examined.You can surely recover from this disorder and lead a normal healthy life

Wish you good health.