Ask a Dentist   »  

Why do my gums bleed during sleep?

Question
Apparent gum bleeding during sleep. Rinse the first thing in the morning and show signs of blood, second or third rinse come out clear. Nothing during the day
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms and they can be due to gingivitis or periodontal disease which affects the periodontal tissue like alveolar bone, ligaments and gingiva causing bleeding gums, localized pain, loose teeth, pockets between the gum and the tooth, redness and swelling.

Gingivitis may even cause bleeding gums on touch. Other reasons for causing gum bleeding during sleep are impairment in the clotting mechanism- either unintentional (due to disease) or intentional (administration of blood-thinning drugs).

I suggest you to get it checked from a dentist, as he will look for signs of periodontitis using X-rays or periodontal probing.

Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and it is good that you are brushing twice daily and flossing your teeth. Also try restricting sugar as it is is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function.

Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds.

Also take vitamin C and calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes if your swollen gums are caused by sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash.

In addition get tartar removed regularly and use enzymatic agents containing lysozyme, lactoperozidase, glucose oxidase, mutanase, and dextranase. You can also use mouth washes containing chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide. You can get them prescribed from your dentist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.