Why do i feel overwhelming stress and heavy weight in my chest?

Greetings Doctor,

Two days ago I was very stressed out. I am a college professor who has too many classes this summer and had to fly to residency. Right before my wife and I went to dinner I started to feel overwhelmed with stress. I felt no pain, but It felt like I dropped a weight on my chest. I am now in XXXXXXX FL and woke up off an on last night. The weight in my chest feels more like a bruise. It feels like my chest in my sternum area is bruised. I don't feel light headed nor have any pain anywhere else. I used the bruised terms as it feels like a when you get a bruise it feels worse after a couple days then starts to subside. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

The most common cause of your symptoms is a heart attack or cardiac ishaemia.

The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.

Please visit your cardiologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case like-

1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB

2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2

3. Echocardiography

4. Tread mill test

5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

The chest discomfort you are experiencing could be because of acidity also which is commonly noticed in stressful situations.

Acidity with the features of acid reflux will present as chest discomfort, eructation, with or without burning sensation in the chest and more so after meals.

Taking antacids and proton pump inhibitors will bring the relief.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any doubts you are welcome.