Why do I sweat when I eat chips or ketchup or drink coffee?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I sweat when I eat like chips or ketcup or drink coffee why?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Hello ,,
Your problem of sweating after hot and spicy foods,, is called gustatory sweating.
Some amount of gustatory sweating is considered normal and may occur in response to eating spicy foods, heavy meals or drinking hot beverages like coffee.
But if the problem is excessive or recently started then its best to rule out pathological causes like diabetes mellitus and freys syndrome.
In diabetes the sweating is generalised to forehead, scalp face palms etc .
In freys syndrome the sweating is unilateral i.e on one side of face, forehead etc due to damage to nerve supply of salivary gland on that side.
So please consult your physician who can examine you and if required carry out blood tests to rule out the pathological causes and confirm the diagnosis.
Hope I have answered your query