Why do I hear constant rumbling noise in my ears ?

Hi - I am experiencing a faint, but constant, rumbling noise in my ears. It is most pronounced when I am in bed, or in other silent situations. If I screw-up my face, or blink as hard as I can, i hear a very loud whoosh in both ears.

Im am 35 years of age, overweight, and am currently prescribed methotrexate (for my Rheumatoid Arthritis) and Fluoxetine (for depression)
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 56 minutes later
Hello and thank you for the query.

What you have going on does not sound life-threatening or like there is any emergency going on - let me reassure you of that. As far as what may be contributing to the symptoms I have to consider the possibility that you may have some inflammation going on in your ear canals and possibly in the area of the sinuses as well. This can sometimes make you more sensitive to changes in pressure or to subtle bodily motions. If you have gained weight in the last couple of months this could be exacerbating it as well.

I recommend that you try a nasal preparation called Flonase or fluticasone - a spray which you use twice daily (one spray in each nostril). This sometimes helps decrease inflammation in the nasal/sinus/ear/nose/throat pathway and may alleviate your symptoms.

If symptoms persist beyond the next 10 days I think you should see your doc for an examination to make sure nothing else could be contributing to this.

Again I appreciate your sending us your query. I hope you have found my answer to be both informative and helpful. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga