Why do I get sudden redness in the eyes when lights are switched on ?

when turning out the lights everything was red, after about a minute and sitting up it went away. I think I have a sinus infection, could it be pressure causing this? Probably unrelated I have had heart palpatations for about two weeks and pain in my left arm.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

Sudden redness on switching of the lights is normal due to the photoreception due to sudden change of light entering the eye. This is due to the mechanism of action of photoreception by rods and cones cells. Rods translate light into monochromic values, everything in between black and white whereas cones convert them into color.

It does not seem to be related to sinusitis. If you notice any worsening in the symptoms or there are any colored halos or floaters in front of eyes then get it examined from an ophthalmologist.

However for heart palpitations and pain in left arm, this needs evaluation. Amongst the general diseases, anxiety, a low hemoglobin (anemia) and hyperthyroidism are important causes. For ruling out the cardiac causes, you might need tests like an EKG, echocardiography, 24 hour EKG monitoring etc. In addition you need to get your hemoglobin levels and thyroid profile test done. So get these tests done from a physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.