Why do I get nausea and diarrhea when I wear spandex?

My daughter gets nausea and diarrhea when she wears spandex or wears tight pants. She will throw up sometimes also. She is only 17 and is extremely fit and is 5'4" and 113 lbs. She wears spandex under her soccer shorts and it bothers her almost every time she has a long soccer match. It also can occur if she is wearing a tight pair of jeans.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

One medical condition which causes symptoms of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea after wearing spandex and tight clothes is of Hiatal hernia.

In this there is a weakness in the diaphragm which causes part of the stomach to pass through the diaphragm into the chest. This is common in females and can occur in weak abdominal muscles and occurs during bending, straining, coughing, extreme physical exertion, or wearing tight clothing that can cause the stomach and esophagus to push into the chest.

To confirm the diagnosis your daughter needs to get an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and high resolution manometry. It should go away with the right treatment which is by medicines or surgical approach (Nissan fundoplication) and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of her bed about four inches with blocks. She should also avoid wearing tight pants.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before she lies down or goes for her soccer match.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also she can take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then she may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.