Why do I always bleed from left nostril? Chronic headaches, lightheaded.

When I bleed from my nose It is always the left nostril? why? it usually happened after I blow my nose so i dont worry but today I started bleeding for no reason? should I be concerned? I experience chronic headaches that feel like pressure and in a SPECIFIC spot feels like someone is poking me with a needle and also feels like water is running on my skull. I have often some sort of light headed
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 11 hours later

From the description given to me it looks like you have two independent problems: Chronic headache and Epistaxis (nose bleed). Chronic headache can be due to migraine, tension type headache or combination of the two.

Epistaxis can be due to local causes (inflammation or fracture or nose pricking) or systemic like hypertension. Significant number of nosebleeds occur with no obvious cause. In view of persistent left side bleed, local examination of the nostril by ENT surgeon is required to rule out structural causes. Hypertension needs to be excluded.

So I personally feel you must XXXXXXX your Neurologist for a good clinical history, physical examination and consultation to ascertain the nature of chronic headache's in you. Most probably I feel could be a combination of Migraine and tension type headache. Prophylactic medications would be required to prevent it become more chronic in the future.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist