Why are there orange lumps during ejaculation? Why do they itch?

Not sure who to ask. It is quite an embarrassing and sensitive subject to. There has been several occasions, including when I've had sex with my partner, that I've noticed orange lumps about 1 mm in diameter in my ejaculation. Freaked me and her out quite substantially. It doesn't always happen, doesn't hurt just itches.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 58 minutes later

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:
1. Do you have any burning sensation while passing urine?
2. Do you have any rashes in your genital area?
3. Were you tested for any STD (sexually transmitted diseases)?
The most probable cause would be due to the presence of blood in semen or due to any sexually transmitted infections. Normally we do observe cell debris, gel like particles or mucus streaks in semen.
I would suggest you consult your physician and get the following tests done:
a.     Urine routine and microscopy
b.     Tests for chlamydia, syphilis, HIV and Gonorrhoea.
Meanwhile, drink plenty of fluids and refrain from sexual intercourse till you’re tested. If you test positive, both you and your partner would need to be treated.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up.

Follow-up: Why are there orange lumps during ejaculation? Why do they itch? 53 minutes later

I don't get a burning sensation when passing urine, nor do I have any rashes. I've quite a few free chlamydia tests in the past through Besure, which were all negative. I haven't been tested for HIV or Gonorrhoea though.

If it is because of the presence of blood, is it most likely a short-term thing and likely to disappear? Or is that difficult to answer. When you also say that you do not observe cell debris, gel like particles or muscus streaks, is that because it's normal or that it requires a specific type of specialist?

Thank you for your response

Answered by Dr. Radhika 12 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

These lumps you are saying could just be the prostatic concretions - this is normal, but the color would usually be just white or translucent.

If it is orange in color, it needs to be examined under a microscope. There are no conditions where you might get an orange lump in the ejaculate.

My guess is it just the prostatic concretions, it is just the prostatic fluid which gets concentrated and a bit hard due to stasis inside the prostate gland, and once they get dislodged they come out in the semen and long standing concretions occasionally might have a slight tinge to them.

As you do not suffer from any other symptoms like abdominal pain, swelling or difficulty/burning sensation while passing urine, this is likely to be a benign, harmless and self healing condition. If you notice similar lumps in the future which is unlikely to happen again, you should consult a competent urologist. Physical examination, microscopic examination and semen analysis would be necessary.

Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any more concerns. If you do not have any more queries, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.