Why are my big toes sore, red and puffy?

I am a 48 year old woman. I am 5'3 & weigh 109lb. I have a degenerative Cervical problem & TMJ disorder. This past winter my 2cd toe on the right foot turned black then my big toe on the right foot turned black. It cleared up. After a few months my big toe on the left foot turned black then cleared up. Now the big toes on the R & L feet are swore, red & puffy w/ bunions. I am taking Naproxen, Neurontin, and watching my diet. I have no insurance, and no job for income to go to the doctor. What do you think. Thanks, Terri XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 50 minutes later

There are two possibilities for your symptoms.

1. Gout is a disorder where there is deposition uric acid crystals in joints. Its typically affects the feet joints and most commonly the great toe joint. It can become red and swollen intermittently.
Treatment for this is one pain relief with analgesics and two, medications, especially allopurinol to reduce the uric acid levels. Identification of the problem in by clinical examination.

2. Blackish discoloration can occur in gout. However, you must rule out any disease related to vascular blockage of the feet.

I must advice you to consult a local physician, one single clinical examination can help us know what we are dealing with.

If not, you can send the pictures of your feet for our review.
You can mail then at YYYY@YYYY with Subject, Attn: Dr Kiran Kumar.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran