Why am I unable to walk after slipping on ice?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I slipped on ice and fell. At the time it hurt so bad I thought I was going to vomit. I got up and was able to walk and continued on a four mile hike. My calf was hurting. Now several hours later it is still hurting and I can hardly walk. Do you think it is just a pulled muscle or should I go get an xray?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Might have sustained a SOFT TISSUE STRAIN Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From the description, I feel that you might have sustained a SOFT TISSUE STRAIN involving your ligaments or tendons. This will generally resolve within few weeks by the following measures - * Rest to the injured part and don't involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues. * Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours. * Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications It is better to get an X-ray done to ruleout any bony injury. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care