Why am I unable to left my arm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my son is eighteen and has been working out at the gym for a few months and lifting weights at logy24 hr. gym. he now is experiencing one arm and hand that can not function properly. he cant use that arm to lift his fingers cant button his shirt or use that arm for anything. he seen two dr offices and said you need to see a specialist of Neurologist and he did and cant do anything until his Medicaid kicks in, know one will give him the test until insurance kicks in in three more weeks but he cant work lift job said he is on the rehire list because no dr will give him the ok but cant use this arm. what is wrong with my son this has been two months that he has been this way with no improvement. Im scarred as a mother and so is my son.
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to nerve compression or injury. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The inability to work with his arm and lift his fingers is due to a nerve injury or a nerve compression at the level of cervical spine or the axilla. This needs proper investigations like MRI scan and nerve conduction studies to identify the extent of damage he has suffered. most of the times such nerve injuries do recover spontaneously in 4-6 months given adequate rest. Please do not worry. Consulting a neurologist is essential for proper treatment. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL