Why am I unable to bend my knee after a fall?

I fell down three large steps onto concrete, landing on my right knee and hand. My knee became very bruised. Three weeks later there is still the remains of a bruise and my knee is still quite painful to touch but not too walk on. Bending it is only painful if is touching my trousers or at full bend.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need MRI to look for the internal structures. Detailed Answer: Hello, Remains of bruise is actually remains of bleed in the tissue below skin.Blood products take time to ware off. Now the pain persisting after three weeks worries me.If it had been minor injury limited to just soft tissue then by now your symptoms should have resolved. Pain on bending arises suspicion of ligament injury. Pain on touching of trouser is due to skin bruising. I would recommend a clinical evaluation and MRI of knee in your case. Meanwhile oral pain killers, elevation of limb , ice application and avoiding standing for long can help relieve symptoms. Regards.
Follow-up: Why am I unable to bend my knee after a fall? 2 hours later
Forgot to mention slipped a disc in back in September. All of this week I have had pain in the right groin and down my thigh and a crawling feeling in the back of my thigh. Could this be related to my knee or is it more likely that I have just irritated my back?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Both seem different issues. Detailed Answer: Both seem different issues. Only thing is the persistent bruise can be due to painkiller medications you might be taking for back.But it should be cause of worry. I think these both should be considered separate issues. For both you can give try to mild oral painkillers. Hope this answer your questions.Regards.