Why am I straining my throat and experiencing soreness after vomiting?

Threw up bout an hr ago it was very forceful and i was straining now my throat is really sore and i tried to eat and it feels like its getting stuck im acared maybe i ripped aomethibg and im internally bleeding please help
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Try salt water gargling... Detailed Answer: Hi, Vomitus that contain undigested food particles, bile secretions and acid is known to irritate throat and food pipe lining. This irritation coupled by straining during forceful vomiting results in pain / soreness, a constricted feeling, heart burns and so on. Though the described symptoms are uncomfortable sensations, it is not unexpected to have them following a forceful bout of vomiting. So do not be very concerned. Rarely forceful vomiting injures food pipe / lower throat structures, but those injuries often present with bloody vomiting. You might also have dizziness and loss of consciousness if you are bleeding. You don't seem to have such issues. I would start you on proton pump inhibitors (PPI) along with XXXXXXX warm saline water gargles for the current problem. You should be able to get prilosec OTC tablets over the counter. It is a PPI which you can take twice a day for 3-5 days. Avoid spicy food and beverages. Throat lozenges can be taken for additional benefits. Hope this helps. Regards
Follow-up: Why am I straining my throat and experiencing soreness after vomiting? 35 minutes later
Thank you i was so worried
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not be worried... Detailed Answer: If you aren't vomiting any more, do not be worried. Try the PPI, throat lozenges and gargles. You should feel better. Wish you good health and prosperous New Year in advance. Please close this discussion if you all your concerns are addressed. Regards
Follow-up: Why am I straining my throat and experiencing soreness after vomiting? 21 minutes later
Sorry to be a pain buf my throat feels so raw and when i swollow it hurts
Answered by Dr. Prasad 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: it needs time to improve... Detailed Answer: The raw sensation, pain and soreness that you feel is secondary to inflammed mucosal lining. Eventually they would heal and you will feel better. Lozenges, gargles and PPI drugs are prescribed to reduce / relieve the symptoms. Your symptoms may last for 2-3 days. You can try the measures suggested. Regards