Why am I retaining fluid?

I have been feeling really fatigued. My blood pressure is 109/56. I am taking Monopril 25 mg once daily and 25 mg HCTZ daily for high blood pressure. I also just increased my Zoloft from 25 mg to 50 mg once daily around one week ago. I have also been dieting for the past week replacing 2 meals a day with Almased Synergy Diet drink-power I mix with skim milk. I have noticed that I am retaining more fluid though which is strange. I would appreciate your advise on this. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later

The blood pressure readings of 109/56mmHg is marginally under limits of normal range.

Hypotension could be a reason for easy fatiguability. Other possible reasons that could be triggering this are
1. Drug induced - Zoloft is considered as one of the cause. Increase in the dose of Zoloft may have caused worsening.
2. Metabolic cause - Diuretic (water pills) such as Hydrochlorothiazide can lead to reduced sodium levels. 'Hyponatremia' is one of the commonest causes of easy fatiguability.

I suggest you to report back to your primary physician. Physical examination and blood tests to look at the serum sodium level are entailed. Perhaps modifying the doses of your medications and correction of hyponatremia (if found) is suggested.

Hope my answer is both adequate and informative. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available to follow up.