Why am I having weird sounds in upper abdomen and pain below my breasts?

I am 56 years old have always been healthy but am probably 30 lbs over weight...I have pain just below my breasts in the center just above the stomach....caffeine hurts...chocolate hurts and I have cut these out..I burp constantly and then my upper abdomen makes weird has become worse in the last two weeks even to drink water.. I still have my period but every 3 to 5 months....I don't take any meds, I feel if weight came down some it would go away...but lately everything bothers me...
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: gastroesophageal reflux disease Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It sounds as though you are suffering from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). This is normally associated with symptoms such as : (1)bloating , excess burping, (2) pain in the upper stomach and chest usually burning but can be a sticking feeling in some persons (3)acid taste in mouth (4)excess salivation (5)nausea and vomiting (6)cough GERD can be made worse by some foods such as the 2 you mentioned. Other foods you should avoid are: mint, spicy foods, tomato and other acidic foods (oranges, pineapple, grapefruit,lemons), fried or fatty foods,alcohol, sodas. In addition you need to use small meals, small meals would reduce acid formation. There is also medication that can help you such as prilosec, prevacid, nexium. These would reduce your symptom and help you to feel a lot better. As you mentioned, weight loss would help because it would reduce the stress or pressure on the stomach and there fore reduce the reflux of food. There are different dietary changes either low fat/low calorie diet or low carb diet. The low cab normally has the faster response. It would involve reducing carbohydrate intake such as rice/pastaa/bread/biscuits/potato/sweet potato/sodas/high carb vegetables. Meals would consist mainly of protein with salad or vegetables Water intake would need to be increased I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions