Why am I having strong cravings to sniff old petrol during pregnancy?

I have v v string cravings to sniff an old petrol can I have and a permanent maker on a daily basis and have done so over past few weeks ,I'm 35 weeks pregnant and the urge is b Strong ! I don't do it all day every day but take a few sniffs at random times ,could be daily ,or every few days or then it goes. This is a few weeks like this now and the more the pregnancy continues the stronger the urge gets . Help ! An I going serious damage ?! I felt like this in last pregnancy also with paint thinners . Ps Also cravings v Strongh ones for the texture of rennie indigestion tablets as the texture reminds me of chalk and I can't stop thinking about the texture and feel of mixing cement Between this and the petrol and markers It's v difficult and strange :(
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is normal that pregnant ladies like you to have cravings. You are saying to crave for sniffing petrol. The only bad thing here is the side effects of sniffing petrol on your health and your baby's health. Usually, pregnant ladies are recommended not to sniff any fume or even petrol to prevent birth defects. Sniffing petrol can cause depression of your brain; while it might cause neurological and intellectual defects. You are also mentioning to be 35 weeks pregnant; so, 2 - 5 more weeks of pregnancy until you give birth. Although the strong cravings, please bare in mind that you have to take care of your baby too. So, be strong and determined. You can ask your OG or for psychologist help if you cannot overcome it by your own. The craving for cement or chalks could be related to vitamin deficiency; so, consult with your OG specialist to add more calcium and vit.D to your daily supplements. All the best! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up!
Follow-up: Why am I having strong cravings to sniff old petrol during pregnancy? 1 hour later
Thanks a mil for reply I know it's not normal and preg related ,it's just v odd ! I will keep it together with a few weeks to go . Many thanks XXXX in XXXXXXX .
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Although odd,such cravings are normal for pregnant Detailed Answer: Hi dear XXXX, Thank your for writing back. The cravings you are feeling are not normal for normal people. Although odd, they are considered normal for a pregnant lady. So, do not worry too much! Try to focus more on the moment when you are going to hold your sweet-heart in your arms! All the best to both of you (mommy and sweetheart)! Dr.Alba If you are satisfied with my answer, please close this thread and kindly rate my answer!