Why am I having hot flashes and feeling cold after drinking alcohol in a party?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
My mom went out last night to a NYE party, and had quite a bit to drink. Needless to say, she was pretty drunk when she came home. She woke up this morning with hot flashes, but she believes that is from her starting menopause, so she said it is common. and she has been feeling cold for most of the day, but no fever and just ate some toast and got up out of bed. I am just concerned she's coming down with something worse. Thanks!
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probable viral illness. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. If your mom is still suffering the effects of her drinking then it is slightly difficult to differentiate the symptoms which may be alcohol related. However, you may be correct in thinking she is coming down with something. This would be the most likely cause of her feeling cold for most of the day. She may be suffering the early effects of a flu-like viral illness. I suggest you encourage her to drink as much water as possible to off-set the dehydrating effects of alcohol. Take paracetamol and ibuprofen if she has a headache or muscle aches. Rest in bed if possible. A light diet only if she feels like food. She is likely to improve over the next 24-48 hours. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA