Why am I getting shocks in arms and fingers when coughing?

why when i cough i get shocks down my arms and fingers?

Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later

Thanks four query.

The pull on the nerves happen some times during coughing, vomiting or any other sudden jerky movement occurs in the trunk.This occurs due to overweight , lack of exercise, well built muscles or even in malnourished people.

A good set muscle stretching exercises will prevent these occurrences in future.

The other possibility of such an symptom is compression of the nerves in the spine due to causes like slip disc or degenerative disc in the spine.When ever there is a jerky movement causing shear in the spine the nerves get pinched and present with shocking sensation specially in the extremities.

A detailed examination will help to confirm either of the cause.The slip disc may need to be attended by a Neurologist if it is confirmed.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.