Why am I getting rashes even after eating gluten free foods?

I am gluten sensitive and eat only gluten free foods now and have gotten rid of the diaharhea but not the rash. Only now the rash comes no matter what I eat, even all gluten free foods.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 50 minutes later
Hello dear,
Gluten sensitivity or celiac disease is aggravated by gluten containing diet.

However, this does not mean it can be completely cured by restricting the diet, though most of the symptoms can be controlled by diet control.

There is something called as resistant celiac disease where the disease persists even after restricting diet.

I advise you to continue with restricted diet and take symptomatic treatment for the rashes. You will definitely benefit by using topical calamine lotion on the affected areas. It is available over the counter.

I fear to say, gluten sensitivity is an autoimmune disorder and cannot be treated completely, it can only be controlled.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other doubts.

Thank You.
Follow-up: Why am I getting rashes even after eating gluten free foods? 3 hours later
I know what Celiac disease is. I want to know how to get rid of the sporadic rash that is destroying my life. Putting salve on it won't help. It goes away on its own within half an hour. What is causing it sometimes and not others while eating the same food the second time is what I need to know. How to stop it is what I need answered.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 39 minutes later
Hello dear,
Thanks for the revert.

The answer to your problem is dapsone.

You may consider taking Tablet dapsone orally for some time. It is highly effective in controlling all the skin symptoms. In fact, you will get good results in a week.

However, it is a prescription drug. It would be unethical and inappropriate to prescribe you scheduled drugs without doing a proper examination.

I would suggest you to XXXXXXX a dermatologist and discuss with him on starting dapsone.

Dapsone is safe but in few people, it may cause hemolytic anemia.

Hope this information helps you. Let me know if you need further help.

Thank you.