Why am I feeling contractions in the lower abdomen?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 54 year old woman. I have been experiencing a contraction like feeling in my lower abdomen. I am fine sitting and lying down. It seems when I begin moving around that the muscle starts contracting. It's not painful but very uncomfortable. I had a tummy tuck 5 and half years ago. ( no comlications)
could that possibly have anything to do with it? Have been to my own general dr who sent me to gyn. She looked for hernia said it is musculoskeletal. . I did have an MRI of lumbar region. Have a slight herniation with some riduculopathy. Been having numb toes too, but MS was ruled out. Dont even think they are related. I am frustrated as to whom I should see next
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The feeling of contractions in the lower abdomen is likely to be due to muscle twitches in the area.
These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Such twitches have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.

You might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications and proper supplements might be needed to stop severe symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Why am I feeling contractions in the lower abdomen? 4 days later
Thank you for the response. Is there any significance to the fact that these "contractions" for lack of a better word , only occur when I start moving especially walking? They are not painful but uncomfortable - sometimes constant if moving about. I've read about adhesions . As I mentioned had a tummy tuck in 07 and a csection in 1985.

I also continue to worry that it could be ms related- even though neuro did not feel any of my symptoms including bilateral numb toes were ms related.

Would appreciate any further comments
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the contractions are felt only on walking then it can be due to post op adhesions.
The contractions are not likely to be related to MS. These however can be related to a neurological cause like methylcobalamin deficiency.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.