Why am I experiencing numbness in chin and lip after wisdom teeth removal?

Hello, I had a wisdom teeth removed 11 days ago. I think I have parenthesis, because half of my chin and lip still numb. I keep biting my lip when eating. Any remedy to eliminate the parenthesis Thank you!
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nerve injury Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. It has been seen that many patients complaint of numbness post extraction of wisdom teeth.Need not worry,as the reason being following. During the extraction of third molars, some the nerve endings or nerve fibrils gets injured and therefore they loose function in that area resulting in numbness in lips and chin area. Therefore please do not worry and allow the nerve to regenerate by its self healing potential.It will take around two to three weeks and you will regain the sensation back in that area. Meanwhile my only request to you is that please do not bite your lips or cheek in that area because it might get have to use this area very carefully for the time until it heals. It is also nice if you can revisit your dentist for follow up. For any further doubts.Please let me know. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: Why am I experiencing numbness in chin and lip after wisdom teeth removal? 43 hours later
Thank you so much for your answer. Blessings
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Hello and your welcome. Wish you very good health. Thanks. Take care