White spots on penis frequently seen, redness on foreskin. Treatable by soap? Other solutions?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Good day Doctor,

I am at present on board vessel. As I am not able to visit doctor in next 20 days following need to know. On my penis frequently I can see whitish cheese staff. just to mention I have not had intercourse for last 3 month. Furthermore yesterday I have noticed small red spot on foreskin. What can be the reason for above and how to treat. And finnaly is there any sopa/shampoo I can use as I have noticed Dove soap bar is not best one. Thanks and best regards
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 40 minutes later

The white stuff you frequently see on your penis is mostly natural secretion of your body which covers the head of penis and accumulates under your foreskin. It is natural and normal and not a reason to worry. It is seen more now probably because you have not had intercourse since three months. It can be washed off during bathing.

Another possibility is that you might be suffering from mild fungal infection of genitalia which can cause white discharge on penis and red rash on foreskin. This is more likely in warm, humid conditions. The treatment would be local application of any antifungal ointment/dusting powder containing ketoconazole or clotrimazole. You may use a mild pure glycerine soap.

The best way to confirm diagnosis would be an thorough examination by your doctor. Since this is not possible for another few weeks, kindly try the following.

Genital hygiene and application of dusting powder / antifungal ointment twice a day is adequate.
Keep the area as dry as possible and avoid synthetic fabric for undergarments.

Use mild pure glycerine soap like glymed or pears or any brand.

If symptoms persist event after two weeks or you develop new symptoms like itching or burning during urination then please consult your doctor promptly.

Hope I have answered your query.