White spots on forehead, getting bigger, loss of pigmentation, due to shingles. Treatment ?

I have at least 3 white spots on my forehead that appear to be getting larger. The dermatologist six months ago said they were a loss of pigment due to my bout with shingles in 2007; she didn't think it could be skin cancer, although I have had at least 7 cases of that. (Usually basal, sometimes squamous). Is this something to worry about?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 13 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Shingle can lead to white spots, which we call as post inflammatory depigmentation or hypopigmentation.

But that would occur only on the area where you had shingles and not at any distant place.

As far as basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma is concerned, their border usually spread or are beaded.

Squamous cell carcinoma begins with a small nodule and gradually the center of it becomes necrotic and sloughs, ultimately leading to an ulcer. They are usually seen over sun exposed areas of body.

Basal cell carcinoma is one of the most common carcinoma seen in fair complexion patients. It starts as a shiny pearly nodule which gradually spreads. It can be pigmented also.

The best way to rule out a carcinoma would be a skin biopsy taken from the edge of the lesion.

This can be done by any dermatologist or at any good referral hospital.

You can even consider sending me a picture of the lesion, which would help me further in guiding you.You can send it at YYYY@YYYY . Kindly mention "ATTN Dr.Bharat chawda" as the subject and please reply to this mail saying that you have sent me a picture.

kindly also tell me if you have any symptoms like itching or burning sensation over it.

Kindly reply me with the answers and the picture as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: White spots on forehead, getting bigger, loss of pigmentation, due to shingles. Treatment ? 5 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Chawda:

Thank you for your informed response.

I feel nothing at all from these spots -- no itching or burning or anything.

The spots do occur where I had Shingles.

I've attached a picture of my forehead.

It looks nothing like the cancers you describe. I was worried that my dermatologist might not know, because initially she thought it was scar tissue from previous operations and I know I never had an operation there. She looked in her files and agreed that I had not.

Best Regards,
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the picture and your reply,

After looking at the pictures it seems to be "post inflammatory depigmentation" over areas where you had shingles .

I think you should not get too much worried about this, but yes keep a watch of it in case you get any of the symptoms which I had described earlier (even though the chances are very very bleak).

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

“ Wish you Good Health”

Dr.Bharat chawda