White spot on forehead left after injury stitches. Can it be treated?

Can a small white spot be treated on my 10 year old granddaughter after stitches on her forehead about 4 years ago. It's completely smooth, but lighter. Thank you!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query,

A white or a light colored spot after a injury or stitches is known as Post Inflammatory Hypo-pigmentation.

Usually such patches if not depigmented (milky white) goes off on its own with due course of time.A little sun exposure on daily basis should give it a normal skin color.

But if this doesn't help then,there are certain solutions which are photo-sensitive , and can be used to get pigmentation.These solutions can be applied on the spot followed by sun exposure .This helps to re-pigment the white patch.

These solutions are available as Methoxsalen Topical Solution .These needs to be diluted and used .I would advise you to consult a dermatologist for a proper prescription and follow up.Actually these solutions are used in cases having vitiligo,but can be used in other cases as well with caution.

You can even consult a plastic surgeon for any possibility of a skin grafting.

Hope I've answered your query.
Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.