White scab on hand with pale red circle around, occasional itching. How to get rid of this?

Dermatologist
Question
I HAVE A SMALL WHITE-ISH SCAB ON MY HAND SURROUNDED BY A PALE RED CIRCLE AND IT OCCASIONALLY ITCHES. WHAT IS IT AND HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT - IT LOOKS AWFUL. i HAVE HAD THIS FOR APPROX. 4 MONTHS. SIZE DOES NOT CHANGE AND THERE IS NO PUSS OR FLUID INVOLVED.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

This may be a nummular dermatitis.

Please attach a pic of your lesion with your query.

You may do so by using the upload your reports feature on the left hand side of the query page.

Having a direct look at the lesion is very important for the assessment of your problem.

In the mean time, you may apply cortisone cream twice daily over the spot.

Awaiting your response