White patches on mons vereris, looks like discoloration when hydrated. What could be the cause of this?

I am a 25 year old white Female. Within the past 5 months, Some white patches have appeared on my mons vereris. It looks like some kind of discoloration when it is hydrated, and when it's not it looks like white, dry patches. What could be the cause of this?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later
The white discoloration can be due to the following reasons:

•     Vitiligo—there is loss of pigment due to autoimmune destruction of cells called melanocytes
•     Post inflammatory hypopigmentation
•     Candidiasis- This is likely to be accompanied by itching
•     Leukoplakia--a pre-cancerous condition that seems unlikely in your case.
As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a.     Do you have any associated itching or vaginal discharge?
b.     Do you have similar lesions elsewhere?
If there is no discharge or itching, I would suggest that you consult your therapy can be started. Alternatively, you can upload a picture on the “Upload your reports” section on the right.
I would be available to answer more queries.
Awaiting your reply.