White on tongue but no thick coating of it. Anything serious?

White on tongue but no thick coating of it. But my tongue looks close to normal
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It appears like normal coating of the tongue.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It seems from the photos and the history you have sent it is looking like normal white coating of the tongue, hence no need to worry.

Normally the colour of the tongue is pink in colour. The tongue can show white colour in cases of
1. White coating of the tongue is seen in collection of debris and food particles normally.
2. Increased coating may be seen in cases of fever, bad oral hygiene.
3. Inflammation of the tongue seen in conditions like vitamin deficiencies, fungal infections like candidiasis.
4. isolated white patches indicating precancerous lesions rarely commonly seen in long standing alcoholics, betel nut chewers...

Since you are not having any symptoms like pain, and the photos are not showing any ulcer, crater, fissure in the tongue, the white coating on the tongue is appearing to be normal.

However if the coating persist, increase or if you develop any of the symptoms like pain, ulcer, fissure, localized thickening do contact doctor for further evaluation and treatment accordingly.

Hope I have ansered your query

Thank you
Follow-up: White on tongue but no thick coating of it. Anything serious? 36 minutes later
How can i get my tongue back to the full pink color and remove the white look
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be treated by improving oral hygeine.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up query.

Since in your condition the white coating of the tongue is appearing normal, it can be treated by
Scraping of the coating during brushing, using tongue cleaners daily and hence by improving oral hygeine.
Drinking lot of water after eating food and gargling the mouth with commercially available mouth cleaners.
If by chance you are having any of the habits like smoking or using betel nuts, quitting them will help.
If by all the above methods coating of the tongue is not coming down, then you need to consult doctor for further evaluation and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you