White flakes on fingernails, come off while scraping. What is this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have while flakes on my fingernails. They come off when i scrape my nails. What is this?
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brittle, flaking nails indicate a nail damage or trauma.
Medical conditions such as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies and skin conditions, including psoriasis, may contribute to brittle, flaking nails. Exposing your nails frequently to water, usually through hand washing, can also cause brittle, flaking nails. Other causes include exposing your nails to chemicals including cleaning chemicals, nail polish and nail polish remover.
Apply a lanolin-enriched lotion or one containing alpha-hydroxy acids to brittle, flaking nails after bathing. Natural treatments for brittle, flaking nails include vitamin supplements of calcium, biotin, iron, silicon, vitamin A and zinc.
You can consult a dermatologist for specific treatment if these measures do not help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Please write your follow up query in detail so that i may be able to help you.