White circular spots under the skin on arms and legs. Had HHT. Mildly positive to echo bubble. Are these related to circulation problem?

Infertility Specialist
My son, 16, has white circular spots on his arms and legs, not on the skins surface, but under the skin. Could this be related to a circulatory problem? He has HHT and had a mildly positive echo bubble, although they were not able to detect a pulmonary AVM with CT. The spots seem to be getting worse, more numerous. They are about 1 cm in diameter, but vary in size.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The skin lesions what you are describing appear to be unrelated to circulatory / heart problem. They are independent lesions.

For white lesions of the skin the differentials would be pityriasis alba, tinea versicolor and vitiligo .

The cause of pityriasis XXXXXXX is unknown , tinea versicolor is a fungal infection , vitiligo has an autoimmune origin .

Pityriasis XXXXXXX usually occurs in children and young adults and may have very fine scales in the center of the lesions.The lesion is usually poorly marginated.

Tineaversicolor present as white lesions but on covered areas may be brown or reddish in color.

Vitiligo usually occurs in the face, axillae and on the dorsal surface of the hands.The lesions of vitiligo is well demarcated .They may start as small patches and slowly spreads to new areas for months and years.

Among these i think your son has tinea versicolor which is easily treated and these medicines need prescription from a doctor.

A dermatologist will be able to differentiate the lesions through a complete physical examination and diagnostic tests since most basis of diagnosis for these conditions is clinical.

For the mean time,you may avoid further tanning or long exposure to the sun until the condition has been diagnosed.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.