White areas on lips, not itchy or painful. Spreading. Hoping you can help

Jul 2012

Dear Doctor,
Since about a month I've some white areas on my lips. I thought it's going to disappear by its self but it didn't. I observe it and encountered that it's spreading.

It’s not itchy and also not painful. It always looks the same.
I totally have no idea how I got it. It appeared at one day and didn’t disappear since then.

I’ve attached you a few pictures that I took using my cam. One picture is a close up shot and is a bit unclear. I hope those pictures that I provided are useful in finding out what it is.

My local doctors here didn’t have any idea and forwarded me to the next bigger city. I currently don’t have the time to set an appointment with a specialist so I hope that you could help me.

Thank you very much.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 15 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX I reviewed your history & viewed the presented snaps. In my august opinion, this appears like fox-fordyce's spots that are a 'normal' occurence in this region. However, some sort of allergic contact dermatitis coupled with photoexposure could be a precipitating cause & my suggestion is to use a lip balm with photoprotection SPF15-30 from XXXXXXX till dusk & reapply each 2-3 hrs or if washed off; also apply a cream containing mometasone furoate+ 3% salicylic acid over the area once a day evenings after dusk toi the affected area for only 5 days to a week & STOP the second one. Please continue with the sunprotection & moisturizer lip balm/stick for a month or so & am sure you will get the best possible result with this line of managment. If all well, cheers & give us a loud shout & healthy review/feedback. GodSpeed & all wil be 'maganda' soon! Cheers.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist & Cosmetologist,
Bangalore, India
Follow-up: White areas on lips, not itchy or painful. Spreading. Hoping you can help 50 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Rodrigues,

I'm happy for your fast reply. You're doing an amazing job.
Could you recommend me any brand names for the lip balm and the cream?

Your theory about photoexposure could be right. I'm a foreigner living in the Philippines.

Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Your welcome XXXXXXX As for the trade names, the rules on this site prohibit me from doing so..hence i spelled out pharmacological names that any pharmacist could easily substitute for a trade name or you could do so too if you googled said names (cut & PASTE) TO CHECK out matching availaible creams in that part of the world. Please do take a transcript of the above advice to the pharmacy after duly printing it ;-)
Cheers Buddy & trust this suffices. Please do close the query if all well (as else it keeps getting reflected in our inboxes as a follow-up even if you simply say thanks :( & do find time to give us a feedback. Cheers!