Whit bump on hard palate of mouth. Diagnosed as cyst. Is it due to trauma?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have a small white bump on the hard palate of my mouth - slightly right of center. It is about 2mm, slightly raised, well defined, symmetrical but not exactly circular. It has been there now for over 9 months. My doctor (General Practitioner) had said it was not cancer, but a cyst. I think it began as a result of trauma (hard food), but I am not sure. Should I be worried and get a second opinion. See attached photograph
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Your general practitioner is right; it is a mucous retention cyst, which is benign and not harmful.

To explain to you in detail, salivary glands in the oral cavity are categorized into major and minor salivary glands. Major salivary glands include parotid, sub-mandibular and sublingual salivary glands. Apart from this, there are numerous minor salivary glands which are situated all over the buccal mucosa, tongue, palate, pharynx, etc.

Sometimes, due to trauma or inflammation of the mucosa there is blockage of the ducts supplying the saliva. Due to the blockage of the duct, there is retention of the salivary secretions in the minor salivary glands leading to the formation of a cyst. Cyst is a sac like structure with collection of saliva. It is usually harmless and does not turn into cancer.

If the swelling is hurting you while taking food or on touching, it can be removed surgically or else, it can be left alone.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Whit bump on hard palate of mouth. Diagnosed as cyst. Is it due to trauma? 11 hours later

I will keep monitoring this cyst. What will be the signs that I should look out for that may indicate that it is more than a cyst and needs further attention.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later

Welcome back.

I can assure you that this cyst is harmless. If you feel, it is progressively increasing in the size or becoming painful, you need to consult your ENT specialist for a complete examination.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon