When we last spoke, are you mentioned that we should

Psychiatrist
Question
When we last spoke, are you mentioned that we should ignore the sense of how much time it will take but to focus on the underlying problem and fix it. You also stated that that could be a time-consuming job or it wouldn't be so easy. Do you have any ideas on what I can do to understand what is the basis of my anxiety or figure out a way to come to grips with the issue that holds on making my breathing a difficult issue. Maybe if I rephrased that to say what is a simple and easy baby step toward figuring the cause and coming back to health as it once was.

Since we last spoke a month ago I have made great strides and feel better but I will admit that I have not come to find a cause I just do things to make me so busy that I forget for a while but it eventually returns some
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Although it will not be easy for me to answer your current question in correct sense but I will give a honest attempt to it.

As you stated that you feel better when you are busy but comes again with similar or less or more intensity and I will use this statement for your understanding.

Anxiety is not something which is real or causes real problem in true sense but our attention to anxiety or its manifestations and their perception in our mind is real problem. I mean to state that our increased awareness about our body systems and their perception is the cause of the problem. In true sense we all have some form of anxiety which is essential for our survival. But our increased sensitivity to body systems leads to maladaptive behavior and problematic symptoms.

If I correlate with your above statement your decreased awareness (either spontaneous or effortful) to your body symptoms is helpful in decreased intensity of symptoms. The action is not only mediated through psychological process but even the biological factors take a change with deliberate and consistent effort. There is good amount of data which suggests that stress management and optimistic attitude helps tremendously in anxiety spectrum disorders by altering the deficiency of serotonin.

Our effort to ignore trivial body symptoms over a period of time becomes habitual which helps in disappearance of anxiety symptoms.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.