When sweat, crotch smells like cat pee. Cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Recently I've noticed that when I sweat my crotch smells like cat pee. Why is this? Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This is not strange since the smell of urine is caused by elevated level of ammonia in our sweat and this usually isnt indicating any disease. This depends mostly on dietary factors ,exercise and metabolism. When there is high concentration of amino-acids and prtoeins in our blood then it will metaboilze in to ammonia whcih is excreted by sweating. This is commonly seen if there is execissve exercise in people which dont take enough carbs for energy or in those with high protein(meat) diet. Also, if you take enough water it will dilute your sweat and lead to less intensive smell.
So you should try to increase intake of carbs nad fluids and cut down on intake of foods such as fish, meat, chicken and dairy products. See will it help,if not,you need to do blood tests to rule some more serious diorders out. WIsh you good health. Regards