Ask a Urologist   »  

When is sexual intercourse possible after ureteroscopy?

Question
Hi I had a ureterscopy done today 2-24-12 .. my question is can I have s
exual intercourse?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Ureteroscopy albeit a minor surgery, and as you seem to have been discharged on the same day of the surgery, a common advice of your surgeon will include a close observation of your urine for the next 2-3 days for any presence of blood and lots of water intake.

So, a sexual intercourse during the initial days of healing of the ureter, might not be good for the aspects of normal healing - as the sperms need to travel through the ureter itself out of the meatus after the climax. This way fructose levels in the ureter may be detrimental to healing of any possible injured ureter.

Maybe after a week or so, after a full healing has occurred and if you do not have any further symptoms, and are then possibly having normal passing of urine - can you have an intercourse safely, best so after the post discharge check is done by your surgeon.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.