When is fetal heart beat detectable ?

i had my last period on 17 april. last week i did a test for pragnency and it was positive. i got all my blood and urine test done. i was having a kind of stomach pain for a minute once or twice a day for the past 5 days. today i have got my XXXXXXX ultrasound done which tell the heartbeat is 121b/mt.i take folvite once a day, naturogest twice daily and ecosprin once daily. i already had a miscarriage last year. is everything fine??
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern after a past miscarriage. By date if your last menstrual period was 17th april then by date you are 5 weeks 5 days period of gestation. 5 ½ to 6 ½ weeks is usually a very good time to detect either a fetal pole or even a fetal heart beat by vaginal ultrasound. Some women may not even have a detectable heart beat at 5 weeks gestation and then we repeat the transvaginal ultrasound after 1 week-10 days.

At 6 weeks of gestation fetal heartbeat would be 90-110 beats per minute. So you are having a good heartbeat and the pregnancy seems to be progressing well. It is normal to find some cramps and abdominal pain in the first trimester.

This is because pregnancy causes increase in hormones such as progesterone and relaxin which have a loosening effect on the muscles, joints, and ligaments. This process helps prepare the body for childbirth, but also causes relaxation of tissues and joints that normally support your body. It may also cause pulling of the round ligament of uterus which cause sometimes cause abdominal pain.

In case the abdominal pain increases in severity or duration or is accompanied by any bleeding and spotting then you need to get it evaluated from your gynecologist. Otherwise, your pregnancy seems to be progressing well.

Take complete bed rest, avoid lifting any weights, climbing stairs or strenuous activities and take a healthy diet, the medicines that you have been prescribed are fine and should help your pregnancy in progressing well.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.