What's the difference between Verapamil SR and Verapamil ER?

What's the difference between Verapamil SR and Verapamil ER? The pharmacist says they're identical, but if that's the case, why do they make 2 versions (SR and ER)?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: No difference between SR and ER Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Your pharmacist was right, there is no difference in ER ( extended release) and SR ( sustain release). It has been used interchangeably. SR is an old terminology as compared to ER which is a newer terminology. It is just a method of drug delivery system where the drug gets released over a prolonged period of time. There is another term used known as PR ( pulsatile release) which is equal to SR and ER. So to sum it all up SR=ER=PR. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards