What would cause slight costical thickening on the distal femur

Question
What would cause slight costical thickening on the distal femur ?
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not significant in most of the cases.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
Slight cortical thickening is a normal finding with out any significance in most of the cases. It might be caused by old healed fractures and it is also seen in old ages.
If you develops symptoms like pain or there is rapid increase in the size of the lesion detailed evaluation may be needed.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedic with a repeat X-ray after one month.
Wishing you good health
thanks

Follow-up: What would cause slight costical thickening on the distal femur 9 hours later
The reason for the X-ray was pain in my knee . This started during chriopractor adjustments. Can this be any sign of cancer ? I don’t have a history of cancer .. I was told they can see a cancerous tumor right on the X-ray and no tumor was seen. I asked a number of times . I have to follow up with orthopedic

Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cortical thickening can be a sign of bone tumor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for followup
Cortical thickening can be a sign of bone tumor. But we can not confirm it by looking at it only. Further evaluation like bone scan and biopsy is required.
Wishing you good health
Thanks

Follow-up: What would cause slight costical thickening on the distal femur 6 hours later
There was no tumor seen on the X-ray , just slight thinkening . Would they have seen the tumor in xray?

Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
We could not make out clear cut evidence of tumor in X-ray

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up
We can not differentiate or make out tumors in an X-ray. We can have some clues that will help you in diagnosis.
For better evaluation you need to take a bone scan
Thanks