What would cause dull headache and constant off balance with feeling of being sick?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
what would cause a dull headache and constant off balance sick feeling . It has been everyday for about 3 weeks with one episode of a severe migraine. Also when shopping in stores or walking sometimes I get cramp like dull pains in head that make me feel week and really off balance.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs investigations. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The dull pain in the head with the feeling of off balance can be due to fall in BP, hypoglycemia, dehydration and inadequate electrolytes(sodium and calcium) in the body, postural hypotension, blockage of arteries supplying blood to the brain esp. the carotids,anemia,vasovagal attacks or underlying neurological conditions. At 40 years of age, it can happen due to cholesterol plaque in one of the carotid arteries or due to an abnormal rhthym of the heart. I will suggest doing an ECHO Doppler of the heart, a 24 hours holter monitoring to look for any rhythm disturbances in the heart and a color Doppler of the vessels of the neck. If these tests are normal, then it will be quite reassuring. Other than that the hemoglobin levels should also be checked to rule out any anemia. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.