What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am having neck pain on the left side, suddenly one day after waking up in the morning, after applying iodex and volini, for a few days it has become less but slight pain is still there, please suggest some exercise
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be muscle spasm. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The sudden pain in the neck like you have is likely to be due to a muscle sprain caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation, etc. Since the pain has mostly subsided with the rest and local analgesics, it is best to continue with a hot fomentation in the area for a few more days. The exercises needed for a long term relief include passive and active neck isometric exercises. These are best learnt under the guidance of a physical therapist. Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness and usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications if the pain is persistent or severe and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics). I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.