What treatment should be taken for ADHD?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Any thoughts on a more exact diagnostic and possibly a prognosis & treatment recommendation? We're waiting to see a medical professional in a few weeks here in North XXXXXXX Is it possible that he has ADHD? Would ADHD medication make a difference in his case? Thank you...a very concerned parent.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 51 minutes later
I can very well understand your concern.

Thanks for your detailed nicely written summary!

I would like to ask you few more questions in the beginning.

Was he normal at birth?
Did he undergo any investigations like MRI or metabolic work up?
What do you mean by problems in balance? Can he walk, run, play, climb stairs, etc?
Assuming that his physical appearance and gross motor system are OK

It is possible that he has some form of ADHD.

ADHD has a wide spectrum of symptoms and to diagnose he has to fill up some criteria which persist usually for more than 6 months.

It may be a group of inattention activities or a group of hyperactivity or a combination of both.

Please arrange to see a pediatric psychologist who will assess him with the criteria and arrive at diagnosis.

Medicines can be discussed only after the diagnosis.

For ADHD there are some medicines.

However, more than anything whatever the diagnosis, he needs speech therapy and occupational therapy and one to one teaching for his academics to improve.

I wish him all the best.
God bless
Dr Uma