What to do for swollen epiglottis and flapping in throat?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
My epiglottis is swollen and flapping in my throat what can I do
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 15 hours later
Brief Answer: nothing to worry if asymptomatic Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. AT the offset I would like to assure you that a flappy and swollen epiglottis is seen very commonly and if you do not have any other symptoms like difficulty in breathing or swallowing then you have nothing to worry about. Meanwhile you may do these conservative measures to reduce your problem: 1. Take a bland non oily and non spicy food 2. Exercise regularly more importantly control and maintain your ideal weight. 3. Restrict your intake of coffee and other caffeinated drinks 4. Restrict the consumption of alcohol 5. I would usually advice my patients on a course of anti reflux medication like the pantoprazole. Your doctor will know about this. 6. Do not take anything cold and take only warm water 7. Do saline water gargling at least two times in a day 8. Do not strain when you speak and do take voice rest 9. Maintain a good schedule as far as your meals is concerned and make sure that you do not sleep immediately after your meal. If these do not help you out then you must get an upper GI endoscopy and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the report. If you have any other specific symptoms you can get back to me and I will surely help you out. Hope you get well soon and if you have any more doubts I will be more than happy to help you out regards Dr Sriram Nathan