What to do after accidental Vetprofen ingestion?
User rating for this question
Hi. I am caring for a dog that takes Vetprofen and I am pretty sure I accidentally ingested half of a 100 mg tablet. I spoke to posion control and was told I had nothing to worry about. They said it was no different than ibuprofen. However I saw on a website for vetprofen to contact a physician if accidentally ingested.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: you should be fine, previously used in humans Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Vetprofen is an NSAID ( non steroidal anti inflammatory drug). It is also known as carprofen. Ibuprofen, naproxen,ketoprofen also belong to this family of drugs. Carprofen was used in humans for almost 10 yrs. Records state that it was marketed as rimadyl and used from 1988 to 1998. It was discontinued because of financial not medical reasons. The cost associated with its production and the fact that other similar medications (such as ibuprofen) were readily available, are thought to be the reasons that it stopped being use in humans and only in dogs. There was no medical reason for discontinuation, no history of side effects that caused it to be pulled from the human market. You should be ok once you do not have a history of problems taking this type of medication (advil, naproxen, ketoprofen). I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions