What test should be doneto detect cause of severe muscle spasm in lower back?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
March 2013 i got a severe muscle spasm in my lower back. i was hospitalized for 5 days. I was not able to move my body every move used to pain a lot. eventually it got better was on bed rest for another 1 week. Don’t know how i got this spasm all i remember is i was in wash room and turned back and by body was stuck. Was given few exercises which I continued for one month. Again the same thing repeated in September 2013 but was cured within two days. This time in mid December – 9th to be precise. I was just standing and got a spasm no movement by body was tilted slightly towards back. This time it lasted for one week again I have resumed back work on 16th Dec. Now a days when it pains in my left leg backside till my thigh. There are particular points where is pains like near last point of spinal cord. Towards left of spinal cord {ending nodes} behind bum region and left leg. Now a days it started right leg knee and my neck. My doc is not suggesting me to go for MRI which is very weird. He has diagnosed me with acute lumbago. I have asked and shown other doctors they say it can be kidney stone or im diabetic. Don’t know what exactly is the cause. Can you suggest some test because of which exact cause can be detected.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: mri scan is needed. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain that you have described is likely to be a muscular pain or due to an acute disc prolapse. It is not related to diabetes or kidney stones. Such muscle spasms can also occur in case of electrolyte abnormalities thyroid hormone imbalance dehydration etc. You also need to have mri scan done to find out any spine related problem like disc prolapse. Activities that might help prevent such cramps include: • Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration • Stretching your back muscles under the guidance of a physiotherapist for a few minutes before you go to bed • Massaging the lower back with your hands or doing a hot fomentation. • Taking a hot shower or warm bath • These cramps at times may be associated with POTASSIUM deficiency and so foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit are to be taken as dietary supplement. • Also, calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle pain & spasm. • Avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium leading to muscle aches & muscle fatigue. Do get your serum electrolytes and thyroid hormone levels evaluated. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL