What sort of treatment should we allow for a child's wax burn to thumb?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
what sort of treatment should we allow for a childs wax burn to the thumb the skin is peeling and the pain is still evident 4 hours later
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 50 minutes later

First aid for wax burn on fingers or thumb includes the following:

1. Run cool water over the burn. Use cool compresses or immerse the part in cool water if running water is not available or uncomfortable. Avoid ice while treating the burn, as the cool water is the safest way to reduce swelling.

2. You may require giving oral analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen or ibuprofen combination tablets as per doctor’s prescription for relieving the pain and swelling.

3. You may wrap light sterile gauze around the thumb, after applying a prescription strength local antiseptic ointment containing silver sulphadiazine to the wound.

Avoid bursting any blister and avoid dense ointment application or tight bandage as these might delay the wound healing.

The exact and appropriate treatment however requires careful assessment of the depth and degree of burns which can only be possible by examination of wound by a doctor.

Also though superficial burns might heal in a week’s time, deeper burns or infected burns may need repeated monitoring and cleaning and dressing by your doctor.

Since it’s already four hours or more after injury, and the pain is persistent I would advise you consult your physician for management rather than self medication.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.