What should we do to control when 9 month baby gets continuous hiccups? Not controlled by water

What should we do to control when kid(age 9 months) gets continuous hiccups.
In this case, kid getting hiccups for more than 4 hours. Drinking water did not help.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chitra Reddy 24 hours later

Hiccups occur when more signals from brain are sent to phrenic nerve. It can also occur when diaphragm gets irritated due to gas formation in stomach. Giving wide variety of foods in less time also cause hiccups. Other causes include certain medications, over dosage and also when he suffers from infections / GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease).

It is a harmless condition in majority of cases. It can even occur when the kid is in mother's womb. Sometimes the frequency of hiccups can be 60 per minute also! So do not worry.

Below I give you few tips to stop hiccups:

1. Drinking water / milk may help
2. Sneezing and sniffing
3. Give few drops of lemon juice
4. Give a spoon of sugar

Not all at a time.....ok

From 6 months age, when you start to give other foods than just milk - this problem may start. Feed him at regular intervals and in small amounts.

As kids get hiccups more often than adults and they do last for a longer time, stay cool don’t panic. This does not have any side effect on growth; so no need to worry. They can just go away by themselves....try to engage the baby in some activity,

If the problem makes your child dull and weak you may need to talk to your doctor and rule out medical problems as suggested above.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to contact me for further queries.