What should be my diet when I am diabetic? Done blood and lipid test

I am 66 and am diabetic. What should be my diet?
My Blood Pressure= 150/74
Blood Sugar Fasting: 160 mg/dl
Blood Sugar PP: 262 mg/dl
HDL Cholesterol: 63 mg/dl
LDL Cholesterol 150 mg/dl
Serum Triglycerides: 130 mg/dl
Serum Creatinine: 0.90 mg/dl

This is not a follow-up question but some additional facts:
My Diabetes medication: Before breakfast - Gemer P1 - 1 tablet
Before dinner - Gemer P1 - 1 tablet
After dinner - Gluformin XL 1000 mg - 1 tablet
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi,welcome to healthcare magic

In diabetes there are goals for the blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol.
The premeal blood sugars should be between 70 to 130 mg/dl
The 2 hrs post meal should be less than 180 mg/dl
The HbA1c less than 7.0% ( some institutions say less than 6.5%)
Triglycerides should less than 150 mg/dl
HDL for a man should be greater than 40 mg/dl
LDL should be less than 100 mg/dl , if there is heart disease, it should be less than 70 mg/dl
Blood pressure readings should be less than 130/80 mmHg to reduce the risk of kidney disease that can be associated with diabetes and hypertension. In a diabetic,the higher the blood pressure the greater the chances of kidney problems.

Therefore the diet needs to control your blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure.
Your diet should contain: (1) reduced salt added to food and also check the labels of any can or packaged foods for their salt content
(2) At least 4 to 6 six servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Use fruits that are not too sweet like watermelon instead of fruits like mango which have alot of sugar. To have 4 to 6 servings you need to use a fruit of vegetable with your 3 main meals and your mid morning and afterlunch snack
(3) Reduce your intake of whole milk or whole cheese, use low fat instead- this will help with blood pressure and cholesterol as well
(4) When using meats, use lean meats/fish/poultry- take off any fat seen, avoid frying foods, grill or bake instead
(5) Reduce your intake of sweets, unrefined sugars found in cakes and pastries- this will help the blood sugar
(6) Reduce your intake of breads/pastries/crackers and when you use them use brown bread/crackers
(7) Use brown rice/brown pasta instead of white rice and pasta. These contain more fiber which reduces cholesterol and because of the fiber they are also absorbed slower and this reduces the level of blood sugar
These carbohydrates should be limited to one spoonful, your plate should be half fruits or vegetables, one portion of meat and one small portion of carbohydrates ( this includes foods such as potato, sweet potato)
(8) Use alot of water and reduce your intake of sodas, juices which may raise the blood sugar
(9) Reduce the intake of saturated fats found in fatty meats, butter, coconut oil, palm oil, whole cheese, whole milk,lard,ghee
(10) Increase your intake of omega 3 which protects the heart - salmon, herring, mackeral, sardines,flaxseed, kiwi,tuna

I hope this information helps you, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: What should be my diet when I am diabetic? Done blood and lipid test 16 hours later
Thank you very much, Doctor, for the very detailed answer.
I would like to know if I can take the following fruits - pineapple, banana, papaya, pomegranate.
Further, I am in the habit of taking a cup of tea early in the morning along with a slice of toasted brown bread. Should my morning diabetes tablet (Gemer P1) be taken before this tea, or before breakfast (two hours later)?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Banana tends to be sweet so you should use that in limited quantities, the others should be ok.
The Gemer should be taken with your first meal (the tea and toast taken early).

I hope this helps , there is a website for diabetics - the ADA website for diabetics (put this in google) that may be helpful for you