What should be done for high BP?

yes. I am female 68 years old. My BP has been for 10= years in the high 130's over 90's. I am medicated with lypertrol (sorry) generic. 50 mg a day. Lately my BP has been in the 170's and above over high 90's to 110. I never have had an operation or an illness. I do have a hyaitial (sorry again) hernia that is petty much controlled. I have been told I have a heart murmer. Colonoscopy clean 8 years ago.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get examined / investigated / AND treated... Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic At this level of pressure, you need proper treatment. The problem is silent, leading to damage of target organs – kidney, heart, brain and eye. The range for the upper figure (Systolic) is 90 to 140 mm Hg. / The range for the lower figure (Diastolic) is 60 to 90 mm Hg. / 120-130/80 is ideal… There are several classes of drugs and several drugs in each class – Calcium channel blocker (ccb) / beta- blocker / Angiotensin converting enzyme (ace) inhibitor / Diuretic / Angiotensin receptor blocker (arb) / Direct renin inhibitor and so on See an Internist / get yourself examined / at times, basic investigation (ECG, ECHO, & Electrolytes, Kidney, Lipids) may be necessary... An ARB combined with CCB or diuretic is often the first choice. Your doctor will give appropriate prescription. Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless