What should I do to remove mascara particles from eye?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I stuck my mascara wand into my left eye. It appears there are pieces of mascara in the eye. I have used eye drops all day, but the pieces have not moved. Is there something else I can do?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to HCM
Sorry to hear about your problem!
As you say that you still have some particles of mascara in the eye, you should go immediately to the doctor for removal of foreign body.
This foreign body can irritate the cornea and cause corneal laceration which is painful and XXXXXXX
The doctor (ophthalmologist) can identify this with his special instrument and remove the foreign body and also check for corneal laceration.
Meanwhile, please do not rub your eye.
God bless
Dr Uma