What should I do if I have sharp back pain?

Hello Dr.,

I noticed sharp pain in the lower of my back spreading all the way to the mid part, I barely can walk, or move. I had a dance class yesterday and I believe I overdid it.First it started as a mild muscle strain. I also have a back pain history, a discus hernia . I took advil and heated with a heating pad but it is not getting any better. What should I do, I need to get better asap. Thank you, Karolina
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

If you have a history of disc hernia, then you should not put an extra stress on your back.

Taking advil alone has not helped you. You need to take a good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside after consulting with your orthopaedician. Adding a methylcobalamin supplement will also help in improvement.

The other measures that can help you include:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some good analgesics prescribed like tramadol and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. If you have any more queries, I will be available for further follow up.

Wish you good health. Advocate to daily exercises for a healthy spine.